As I said, we poked our heads in and looked around the gift shop and decided to come back some other time, perhaps when it was a wee bit busier. We did sign the guest book though, and this is what we saw! Kinda funny.
After the brewery, we decided to head back in the direction of our hotel and hit Pier 21, once a place where many immigrants to Canada were processed through. Along the way, we stopped to take this photo. The little island in the background is called George Island and once housed a prison where many Acadians were sent, just becuase they were Acadian.
I didn't get a photo of the outside of Pier 21, but it's basically just a big building, so close your eyes and picture it for yourselves! Inside there were plenty of interesting things to see, namely immigrant papers and displays of personal accounts. Naturally, we were drawn to anything Dutch. Makes it a little more personal when you're only one generation removed from immigrants (that would be Mark by the way). I'm pretty sure my relatives just emerged from the soil, they've been here so long.
A passport?
A breakdown of where the largest numbers of immigrants came from. Fourth place isn't bad!
Me, a newly landed immigrant myself.
The title of this just made me laugh. The write up is pretty funny too.
Another display of someone's personal effects.
The Pier didn't take too long to browse through and by the end of our little tour, I was pretty tired. There was one more stop to make though. Right across the street from Pier 21 was a microbrewery called Garrison. It was quite small, so we checked it out. All the kettles and other goings on were visible through big glass walls. They offered five tastings for three bucks, so after a lot of fresh air and on an empty stomach, I was feeling rather tipsy.
This is what happens to your perspective when you spend two weeks doing little other than drinking and driving. Not at the same time though. Driving during the day, stopping to drink. My husband is a cop now. We don't do those types of things. Any more.
Garrison doesn't use any preservatives in it's beer, so the taste is rather smooth and clean. It also doesn't last very long apparently, which makes me think that we should finish up the rest of that six pack tonight.
To cap off our lovely stay in Halifax, we dined at McElvies that evening, known apparently for their seafood. Really, what around here isn't known for it's seafood? Some of you reading this may know that while I am a big fan of shellfish, I abhor swimmy fish. I think they're the most evil creatures on this planet. That being said, I'm pretty sure I'm in the wrong province. I'm endeavouring to do my best though.
This is me in the midst of enjoying my seafood chowder until I came upon a gigantic chunck of salmon, of which only a tiny portion is on the spoon. This is my game face people. I did at least try it. And yep, still hated it. I fished out the rest of the salmon and gave it to Mark. The rest of the meal was outstanding.
And thus, the conclusion of the mini-moon. Mark and I waddled back to the hotel and I fell asleep watching tv. Ah, married life.
We're now in Liverpool, have been for a few days now. It's nearly noon on Saturday and we're still in our jammies, with nothing really on the go accept enjoying our last couple of days obligation free.
More about becoming Liverpudlians another day. Until later...
No comments:
Post a Comment