Monday, March 12, 2007

Road Stories; Day Three...

Day Three...

Just so you don't get the wrong impression, I have done some driving. I drove 60k on Saturday before I felt really sleepy and needed to pull over so that I could switch with Mark and have a nap.

So this post isn't so photographically interesting as we just drove and drove and drove (shocking). We headed out from Montreal around eleven am and made it to Fredericton by around nine pm local time. We kept on keepin' on so that we could have an extra night in Halifax and perhaps have an opportunity to get out of the damn car and actually see something. This trip is a real learning experience. You get to know yourself quite well. Here's something I've learned (and I'm sure Mark has learned as well) about myself. I'm good in the car for about six, maybe seven hours. Definitely not eight.


Here we are about half way through Quebec. Quite a pretty province actually. Very much how I had pictured it, moreso the closer you get to New Brunswick. Small little logging towns with homes clustered in small groups. There's a beautiful church in the centre of every town and you can see the steeples for miles. I found it very quaint and peaceful actually. I also saw a quilt hanging on a clothesline. I got very excited about that. And yes, the quilt was beautiful.


Me doing a little Trans Canada knitting. I swore I wasn't going to do any sock knitting, but it's the only thing I know how to knit from memory, since reading and knitting in the car does tend to make me a little woozy.

I'm terrible with geography, so I was unaware that Quebec was so hilly, and that New Brunswick would be even hillier. So when the landscape started to change, I got a little excited.

BTW, Mark does not stop for photos. I wanted to get a shot of the sign between the border of Quebec and New Brunswick. I wasn't fast enough with the shutter. Too bad, so sad.


We saw many, many moose crossing signs, but no actual moose. Which is a good thing. When the speed limit is 110 km/h, you want a mooseless drive.

We arrived in Fredericton kinda late and unbeknownst to us, everything closes here at nine pm. We tried three restaurants before we finally settled on Boston Pizza which was open to the obscene hour of 1 am. I was about ready to have a melt down and after two beers and a full stomach, calmed down enough to apologize for my unladylike outbursts.

So we're sitting in the BP, having our dinner and there is a waiter talking to some friends of his near our table. He says something about RCMP, which we both pick up on immediately. We concluded that he was somewhere along the application process, so Mark decides to grab his attention on his way by so that he can flash his badge. The two chatted for a few minutes and Todd, who was quite friendly, informed us that he's wanted to be a mountie since junior high! In any case, we wished him luck and he was off. So I guess we were meant to eat at the Boston Pizza after all.

We stayed the night at the Amsterdam Inn, ironically enough. And yes, Mark picked it! It's a nice little place, apparently a chain of four hotels to serve you in the maritimes. There's pictures of tulips and dutch people all over the place. Love it!


Mark wigging out as we fight over hotels to stay at in Halifax.

Well lovelies, the continental breakfast is over soon and we need to freeload where we can. Catch up with later in Halifax with some more interesting photos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Love your shout out to the Yarn Har!