Day Four...
Well, the drive from Fredericton to Moncton, NB yesterday was a little quiet. Lets just say we had some 'misunderstandings' when leaving the Amsterdam Inn that didn't quite blow over until we were just outside of Moncton.
A few observations about New Brunswick....there's no one there!!! Small pockets of communities between vast, wide open spaces. Fredericton smelled funny too. We didn't really stop in Moncton, just bypassed it. We stopped somewhere to grab a Subway sandwich and a Timmies coffee, (both chains in abundance out here, thank goodness) and then we barrelled onto Nova Scotia.
Here we are having just crossed into our new home province of Nova Scotia. We stopped at the visitors centre for a brief photo opp. This is how I like photos of myself...from far away! I look very svelt.
Another itty bitty me standing under our new provincial flag. Mark and I are both fond of it already.
We made it into Halifax around five pm or so and had the damndest time finding a hotel, simply because we don't know the area and the roads were a little funny. We had speced a few out, but our first choice was way the hell in studentville, so we decided to bite the bullet and blow our budget on a place near the harbour. We chose the Westin hotel, which was a bit of a mistep on our part. No harbour views, which we think is due to the fact that we're paying a gov't rate. A note to travellers at this point; just ask for a government rate. So far, Mark has not been asked to show any kind of ID. Not once.
No complimentary internet access. It's ten bucks for 24 hours worth. This is a little hard to swallow considering that back at ye olde Amsterdam Inn, the rate was $80.00 and the access was free. Also at the Amsterdam Inn, they had a binder full of DVDs (how cute!!) that you could choose from, which were also free. Our room there was on the ground floor with a door leading outside and a free continental breakfast. Here at the Westin, you get a paper delivered to your room. If you refuse the delivery, they charge you fifty cents. WTF? Movies here are $13.99. I know, I know, we're in the city, right on the harbour, what can you expect. But seriously. There was something else that Mark was grumbling about last night, but I've since forgotten. It's nearly ten am and he's still dead to the world, so I think we'll just keep it that way for a while! Poor guy...he's pretty tired.
Anyhoo, didn't explore much of Halifax last night other than the inside of the NSLC (Nova Scotia Liquor Control, I'm assuming, since it was the liquor store). That is actually the one nice thing about the Westin...its right next to the liquor store and the Superstore.
We went on a hunt for a decent restaurant and settled on The Henry House just up the street. Very Englishy kind of pub. Quite small and cozy and the food was awesome. The drink wasn't too bad either.
Just ask Mark...he tried them all! It was a bit of a brew pub, so Mark had the sampler. Of all of the selections, including bitters, darks, and ales, he liked something called 'the peculiar' the best. There was a bit of a write up on it, something to do with a 'lunatic brew'. I was already three quarters of the way through my black and tan at this point, so I have very little recollections of this.
I had the lobster fettucine, which means I am now no longer a lobster virgin. Until last night, that sweet succulent crustacean had never crossed my lips. And mmmmm mmmm, is it tasty! I had my reservations about cooking one myself, as you have to cook it live, but perhaps I could get over it.
Mark playing in the Zen garden in the hotel lobby on our way back from dinner.
Today, if or when Mark ever wakes up, we're going to explore the city a bit, or at least whatever is in walking distance. It's another beautiful day and the less time in the car today the better.
Catch up with y'all later!
1 comment:
Damn! Y'all are cute. You remind me of me and the Hubby when we moved from Massachusetts to Georgia. We stopped and took pictures of ourselves next to ALL the "Welcome to..(your state name here)" signs.
And now I want a black and tan. Mmm
Post a Comment