It was nice to just take a moment this weekend to pause and spend a few moments on something in the yard that wasn't overgrown, full of rocks or a weed.
I have very limited gardening knowledge or experience, but I do believe that this is an apple tree. We have a few of them growing in the front yard. I wandered over the other day to smell the blossoms and they are utterly beautiful.
My grandparents had a few apple trees growing on their farm, way back a million years ago now. I used to swing on this old, ratty swing that was tied to one of it's branches. The rope was weather beaten and frayed, really awful to the touch. But I loved that swing.
I didn't know what was growing in front of the house until it started to bloom. It's not quite fragrant yet, but again, I'm pretty sure it's a lilac bush. I love lilacs.
These remind me of living on the lake in northern Ontario, way back a million years ago now. Lilacs everywhere. I got so excited when they started to bloom because it meant that spring was officially here and summer wasn't far behind. More light, more time outside. Full days at the beach, nights by the fire. Sailing on sunny days, watching the storms from inside. Barefeet, sunburns, hot dogs, sand in my clothes. The smell of the water, wild strawberries, ice cream sandwichs, skipping rocks.
I wonder what summer here will bring?
2 comments:
Man, I forget just how far north of me you are!! my lilac blossoms have been dead for 2 weeks and the apple blossoms gone for one. The Kitchen and bath look great and I'm so excited for you about the sweater - you're in the home stretch now!!
Thanks! I must be pretty north...it's still very cool here.
Sorry for the tardiness on getting your package out to you...hopefully today!
Post a Comment