Sunday, February 17, 2008

A Bit of an Experiment...

This is my 200th post! I'm going to try something here in a minute, but first, I want this...



...I want it badly, and I want it now. Why isn't there an Ikea on the east coast?
Here are a few things that have recently conspired together to make me disgruntled about not still living in Ontario.

--They have a new holiday in February, on Monday, called Family Day. A number of provinces now have this new holiday. Guess which province isn't one of them.

--We have relatives that live in Burlington, ON, just where an Ikea happens to be and all of the furniture that I want you can't buy online. Frack! While we're on the subject, why is it you can order a chair online but not a $12 Roman blind????

Anyhow, Ontario is getting hammered with another storm today, and it's sunny here, so for now, I'll be content to be where I am.

Now onto this.



I've been visiting my stash lately. I've got lots of stuff that I bought that I really didn't have much of an idea of what to do with it. Some of it were thrift store rescues. When you find a whole bag of yarn for like three dollars, you're almost morally obligated to give it a good home.

I've been inspired by others who have committed to knit their stashes. Here's my take on it. For every new project that I work on, I have to come up with a project for my stash yarn. I'd be okay with raffling it off, but really, I don't have much of anything that anyone wants! Before I felt comfortable enough with my abilities as a knitter to go out and buy beautiful yarns, I practiced a lot on cheap acrylics. Which is what most of my stash is.

So...here's where you come in. What I have pictured here are seven balls of Zellers brand (yes, it's that old) Shetland Chunky. No idea of yardage, it didn't say on any of the ball bands, but I would imagine that at 50 grams (it did say that much), the yardage would be the same as another Shetland Chunky in 50 gram balls. Anyway...

I would welcome any and all suggestions from you fine folks as to what you would do with it, what you would like to see done with it, patterns you think would be suitable or appropriate. Preferably, if I were to take someone up on their suggestion, the pattern would be available online somewhere for free or for reasonably cheap download, if I don't already have it in my collections (and if you're on Ravelry, you can check out my library there, in terms of my books anyway...I'm Marti there as well).

In addition, if you think that this yarn is something you yourself would like to have, by all means, leave a comment and I'd be more than happy to send it to you!

So we'll see how this little experiment goes. Every so often, I'll pull out something else from the stash and we'll do this all over again, if it works out. Very curious to see what you suggest!

Until later...

PS: Check this out! I had checked every Braincase gallery that he'd posted, and never saw my booties until today, when I decided to Google myself! This was waaay back in October. Too cool!

6 comments:

Heddy said...

Congrats on 200 posts!

Sorry you are missing out on the Ontario things (but just think of all the cool things NS has that they don't have ... beaches within minutes of your front door, a realy hip Knit Nite, and gah! there must be more than that!) ... I have been seeing the chaise lounges like the picture you posted at a lot of furniture store around here (I think there is one at Home Hardware, and I know the Sears in Bridewater - near McDonalds) has one or possibly 2, and there are some at the Lazy Boy store in Bayers Lake. I really like them, but if I hads one, doubt you would ever get me vertical again ... ahhh, knitting laying down (drools!)

Anonymous said...

Yeah I wish we had an Ikea too. We used to have one in Dartmouth. Not sure why we don't anymore. About the holiday, that would be nice too. It will likely take as long getting that here as it did Sunday Shopping. About the yarn, I haven't done enough knitting to suggest anything in particular but I was thinking along the lines of a knitted bag of some sort, maybe to hold a knitting project or something. I'll look forward to reading what other people suggest and what you decide to make.

Heddy said...

Hi again ... I forgot topost what I thinkyou should make out of this yarn ... I totally am in love with this vest - http://knitty.com/ISSUEspring04/PATTboogie.html
It calls for 3 x 100 gram balls of shetland Chunky for a ladies small or medium -- and I am wondering if it would work for 5 of the 50 gram balls of the pin with perhaps a bit of the white at the waist and armholes (and perhaps a white cable?)

Also, I have a book of Sidar kids patterns that i have knit a lot from -- most are for chunky weight -- perhaps if I bring it to Knit Nite, you'll seessomething for the adorable little niece you have!

lexa said...

I was thinking a kids sweater. Maybe a kid-sized version of the Elena sweater I knit or something. I also have some patterns in a Sirdar book for kids that use chunky yarn.

Congrats on your 200th post! And the skull booties mention.

Donna M said...

I can't believe you knit skull booties!
Maybe you could make a baby blanket out of your yarn stash. Needless to say, it would be for a girl. That way it wouldn't matter how much you had.

Anonymous said...

I can see a fair isle sweater with that yarn for Kara. Something with a little white design along the yolk and maybe along the sleeves. Don't know if that would use it all up or not, but it would make a dent. Then you could re-thrift the leftovers. I suppose if you targeted valentines day 2009 the sweater would also be bigger and use more. If I see anything that captures what I have in my mind's eye I'll send a linke