Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Quarantine...

While I may still be well enough to blog, my poor hubby is totally down for the count. Around dinner time Sunday, he off handedly said 'my stomach is a little upset. I think I'm getting the flu.' A half hour later, full blown plague. He's been sleeping on the couch ever since, and I feel terrible for the poor guy. He never gets sick, and certainly never gets this sick. So I'm on chicken soup and juice duty. And trying to explain to the dog that while he's still in the room, the constable is in no mood to play. Haven't been successful yet.

Anyhow, I seem to be on an extended knitting break. I've been spinning a bit, but just not at all motivated to pick up the sticks and string. I've been experiencing some real achiness in my arms, wrists and shoulders, and while I usually soldier through it until it goes away (or I become impervious to the pain, one or the other) it's really been bothering me lately. It's a strange new sensation and one that's a little worrisome. In any case, I think that is also contributing to my lack of enthusiasm with regards to the knitting.

So during my sabbatical, I have managed to do a little sewing, which has been a nice change of pace frankly. I've been able to stretch some crafty muscles that have been in little use of late.



My sister in law needed a couple of new sleep sacks for Little Miss K, as she has this really annoying habit of growing up too fast. We had made one last fall, an 18 mo. size which at the time, was just huge. Litte Miss was only 6 mos. at the time, and was swimming in it. Now, the one we made is the only one she can wear. So I broke out the pattern again, got a couple of meters of cute fabric, and a way I went. This one with the little cloud animals on it is an 18 mos. size (click to enlarge, see if you can find a sheep!)...



...and this one is a size 2, which hopefully will get Little Miss the rest of way to a big girl bed. I'm not sure how that all works really, when one graduates from the crib. I do wish that these sleep sack things had been all the rage when I was wee. They look really comfy! The outside of these ones are cotton, lined with flannel. And that's it! Easy-peezy, lemon squeezy. The zippers are a bit of a pain to sew in, but I'm getting much better at it. The pattern called for bias tape around the neck and arms holes, which I did in the first one, but elimated for these two. Too fiddly. This looks better anyway. And I added the flap on the front, as the pattern only called for one on the inside, behind the zipper, and Litte Miss has just discovered the fun of zippers. So an extra flap, with a snap.

I think I'd like to pick a new project or two to sew. Some of the blogs I've been reading, knit blogs mind you, have caught the quilting bug lately. I have scads of remnants from sewing clothes and quilts, and I'd like to do a little destashing in that department as well. I went through my yarn tote (yes, I only have one...stop snickering) and came up with some ideas to destash there. I think I'd like to do the same for the fabric. The craft rooms seems to be a pretty decent set up for sewing, so we shall see what ensues in the coming months. But before I embark on any more crafts, the house really should be my first priority. It's been largely ignored since the fall. We're slowly but surely getting back to it though.

Anyhow, I need to run some errands quickly, as I think the time for my own quanantine may be nigh.

Until later...

4 comments:

Donna M said...

Keep him at home and away from the general public! I hate the flu!
Sorry that you can't seem to get into knitting with your aching arms and wrists. But your sewing looks great. Both my girls' babies always sleep in those!

Alison said...

House Man had the same plague yesterday. He called in sick to work and the boss said "okay then, you can come in tomorrow instead", so obviously he wasn't too worried about House Man infecting everyone else! House Man, however, is very miffed about losing his day off, which should have been today. He seemed much better today though, so hopefully the constable will recover quickly too!

lexa said...

I need to learn how to sew.

Heddy said...

HI ... A friend of a friend is looking to sell a spinning wheel. It isn't and antique one, or old ... it was made from a kit. Jill and I thought you might be interested. If you are, you can call me at work, or I can give you the info tonight at Knit Nite if you are there. I am not sure of the selling price.

H