Friday, August 17, 2007

Desire...



I want to knit this. In the worst way. It's the first time that I've been itching to go right out and get the magazine. It looks comfy and warm and perfect for fall. The only thing is, I'm worried that it won't look good on me. I'm, uh, what you might call 'well endowed' (the constable has referred to me as Chesty LaRue more often than I'd like to admit...I tell myself he's just a Simpsons fan and move on).

If I do end up knitting this, it will be only the second sweater ever that I will have knit for myself. The first one, as you may remember, I just went ahead and knit to see what would happen. I considered it a learning experience. This sweater I would like to fit me properly, despite the fact that the lower portion is rather swingy and loose. I'm a little worried of shelling out a large quantity of money on something and having it look like crap on me.

I'm also not a little slip of a thing and worry that those areas of ribbing around the mid section would accentuate things I don't want accentuated.

Any tips out there for assuring a decent fit or advice on choosing knitted garments that are flattering? I'm so very new to sweater knitting. Looking forward to doing a little yarn browsing though!

Until later...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

knitting daily is running a series of emails/newsletter thingys about fit right now. If I haven't deleted them I'll forward them along. They are from / associated with interweave press so it should be decent advice.

Anonymous said...

I highly recommend the book "Big Girl Knits" by Jillian Moreno and Amy Singer. Even though you're not an overly Big Girl, there are tons of tips for fit and flattery, including working with the three Bs - boobs, belly and butt. I may never work any of the patterns in the book, but the information is invaluable. It includes worksheets on taking your measurements (in way more places than you can imagine) and plugging them into formulae to help with fit, great instructions on short row bust darts, and some "What not to Wear"-esque tips on choosing styles for the various body types.

I got my copy at Michael's when they were running a 40% off coupon in their flyer. If they have a current flyer (which is most times) and you tell them you live in an area where you don't receive the flyer, they'll take down your postal code and give you 40% off a single item.

Marti said...

Wow...great info, thanks!