Friday, August 24, 2007

Lest I Forget...

Inspired by Ellen's recent trip down my memory lane, I decided to go back and revisit some of my old posts. To quote Ellen, 'What a hoot!' I've always thought that this blogging stuff was fun, a great little outlet to express myself and in doing so, gain a little introspection. But I completely neglected the fact that it's also a great little record of bits and pieces of my life, some of which I had kind of forgotten over the past year.

I missed my blogiversary, cuz, as I stated yesterday, I'm terrible with dates. But in going back, I see that my first post was April 30/06. I don't know what else I might have been doing that day, but it was that day that I decided to start my blog. Probably because I wanted to play along with all of y'all.

One year later, April 30/07, was the day that the constable and I moved into our very first house. That was a great day. One of those days that leaves a very Seinfeldian 'memory burn'.



This is us on that day. I love this photo.

This was kind of a funny story too. We were to take posession and move into the house on the same day, as the house was vacant. Being first time buyers, maybe we were a little naive, I don't know. What we did know is that we needed a residence and to get our stuff out of storage while the RCMP would still cover the costs. At any rate, we called the moving company that had all our stuff in storage and finally gave them an address where they could drop the stuff off. I believe that the 30th was a Monday.

So we showed up at the house bright and early. So did the movers. While all of this was going on, I had to go to the bank to get a bank draft for the down payment to drop off at the lawyers office. The movers showed up at 8:30 am. The bank didn't open till 10.

I get the money sorted out and return to the house, whereby the movers are pretty much done unloading the truck. Normally they would unpack all of the boxes for us and take all of the packing materials with them, but as the house was (and in many ways still is) a disaster zone and we had no intentions of unpacking anything until way into the future, they just dumped the boxes off and left.

It wasn't until around 1 pm that the lawyers office called to say that they received the money from the mortgage company and that we could proceed with moving in. I thanked our paralegal very much and hung up the phone, and then surveyed my already set up living room in the little apartment.

So I guess for about five hours or so we were technically trespassing. I don't think anyone is going to bother doing anything about it now, do you?

Anyhow, this should be nice to read a year from now when another whole slew of stuff has happened and I can't keep anything straight.

Until later...

1 comment:

ellen said...

Fun story! I probably would have freaked out and worried that the law was coming to get me.
This adventure in blogging is a good keeper of everyday stuff and I wish that it had been available to me years ago. You'll have rafts of great memories and the "availableness" of bits and pieces that tend to get lost along the way.
Cheers!