Friday, November 30, 2007

Pick of the Litter...

Well, today was the day. The constable and I are now proud puppy parents to a rather floppy and pretty uncertain large ball of fluff.

And we're calling him Hank.

But what you're really here for are the pictures!



I forgot to take the camera with me when we went to pick him up, so these first photos were of our first order of business, a bath. Playing with your brothers and sisters in close proximity to your own waste products requires a quick tub, dontcha think? Anyhow, he was not a fan, but survived and was greatly praised.

The ride home was a little rough. It takes about 45 mins. from where we got him to our place, so a decidedly long ride for one who's only been in a vehicle once. Turns out he's a bit of a nervous drooler. He was soaked from the mouth to the paws when we reached our driveway. Overall though, he did very well.



Here's 'ol Hank after his bath...all fresh and poofy! It was a bit of an adjustment from bathing a nearly bald (in comparison) Jack Russell to this little guy! He's got a lot of fur. And it's sooo soft.

Of the five males that we had to pick from (yep, we were first!) Hank was the only black and tan and one of two that came right to us immediately. He and the runt of the litter were very interested and very playful. I picked up Hank and he was very affectionate and comfortable being held. The hubby went into the pen to get aquainted with everyone, one of whom wasn't too keen on waking up, another who was too busy playing with a toy. During all of the requisite document signing, Hank stayed right up against the pen wall near where we were. I think we knew right away that he was the one. And funny enough, if you remember the last post where I put up puppy pictures, Hank was the little guy looking up at the camera, sitting there all by himself. Co-incidence? Hmmmm...



I like the little sideways glance in this one, as if to say, I am really not sure about you lady! So far we've had three (perhaps four) successful trips outside to use the loo and three little accidents in the house, one of which was clearly my fault as I truly think he was trying to tell me he had to go. He was whining alot and sort of restless, and I was trying to settle down and eat some dinner, so we won't count that one in the final tally. He's pretty good about his crate, though closing the door is something we're working on. We'll see how sleeping tonight will go.




We've had a few good little plays and I think he's kind of settled in now. It'll still be a while before he's truly figured out what the hell is going on. Kinda sad really...one day you've got all these playmates, then these strangers come along and take you away where you're all alone. I'd whine too. And stay very close underfoot, which is what he's been doing. He's so fun to watch though, cuz he's still unco-ordinated and unsteady. He's all over the place.



Anyhow, it's been a big day for Hank, and for us. I think we'll pack it in.

Thanks to everyone for playing along with the whole name game thing. I don't think there was a clear winner in the poll, but clearly Hank was a solid choice (and I like how it's also knitting related, but don't tell the constable!)

My little prizey things are going out to the following; Chicken Betty will be getting something from me cuz she thought Johnny Utah was as hilarious as I did and also suggested the name of Robert Smith, clearly appealing to the Cure fan in me.

Kim B. will be getting a pair of hand knit socks for the name of Saxon, cuz it appealed to the history major in me and the thought of Saxons fighting Britons sent me off on many a little day dream. Kim B's not a knitter, so a solitary ball of yarn or the like wouldn't be likely to excite her!

My Knit Nite ladies will be getting (hopefully) some homemade goodies for playing along and being interested in the puppy overall. And Panzer, Weiner and Schnitzel were definitely names that I was totally up for, though someone else in the decision making process didn't share my sense of whimsy.

Anyhoo, tis all for now lovelies. I'm sure I'll be boring y'all with many a photo from here on in. Until later...

5 comments:

ellen said...

What an adorable little guy and I love his name! He will undoubtedly miss his siblings, but he'll be a happy chappy soon. Good for all of you. I am happy for you.

Heddy said...

ooohhh, he is precious! I love the picture of him in the tub, although when he grows up, he'l probably be embarassed by it! LOL!

He's cute, and looks like a "Hank".

How did you make out through the night? Finding a teddy bear that is similar size to the pup, and the occasional use of a hot water bottle wrapped in a towel would settle our youngest dog down when she was missing her littermates.

I look forward to more "baby" pictures

Donna M said...

Congrats on your new little one! He is absolutely gorgeous!
And the name is perfect, and the one I voted for.

The Ninja Knitter said...

PUPPY!

Awww, he's a cutie and a half. Btw, yup - we like Big Sugar in this house.

Steph said...

aw, what a cutie! Hank is a good solid name for a dog! He'll grow up to be quite sensible, I'm sure.