This is my favourite sweater. I got it for Christmas about six or seven years ago. It's a GAP purchase. I received a gift card and went on Boxing Day (big mistake) to the mall (I already admitted that it was a mistake) and found this little gem. It has been my constant companion lo these many autumns and winters.
I had this sweater before I was a serious knitter and therefore, wasn't too terribly concerned with sweater care. I knew I should probably hand wash it, but I was young and niave and, well, you know what happened next. It found itself in the washing machine. I know, horror of horrors.
Obviously it wasn't %100 wool, cuz if it was, it'd be a purse by now, but it did tighten up a bit. I lost some length and some overall squishy-ness and although I still love this sweater with every fibre (pun intended) of my being, I can't help but mourn the sweater that once was.
This has bothered me for the past however many years. Every time I put it on, I get a small pang as I stretch out the sleeves to their former drapiness. I curse ever so slightly under my breath as I continually tug at the hem. I kick myself just a little bit for being so careless and always wished that I could find another sweater just like it.
I'm embarassed to say that it took up until recently to realize (please, hold the laughter till the end) that I, um, am a, uh, hehe, knitter. Yes, literally six/seven years mourning the death of a sweater before it dawned on me that I could reproduce one just like it. Duh.
Just about every element of this sweater is extremely straight forward. Except for one, and this is where you come in. I need some knitterly advice on how to do the front. It has the appearance of being slightly mitred. But I'd like to throw it out there and get your take on it. Any thoughts? Any resources you could recommend? I'd like to work on this after the holidays if I can find a yarn that I like.
Anyhow, if you have any little purls of wisdom, I'd be very appreciative.
Until later...
3 comments:
I wish I did have some advice. I can follow most knitting patterns, but still struggle with some of the most basic of basics...like picking up stitches! That's probably why I have a small but damned hole in the blanket I am working on. Someone will come to the rescue out there..but it won't be me. I am still waiting to be promoted from the Preschool of Knitting.
Ann Budd: The Knitter's Handy Book of Sweater Patterns.
Barbara Walker: any one of her 5(?) knitting stitch "Treasuries"
Seriously, you'll never need to buy another sweater pattern!
That's an awesomly comfy looking sweater, girl.
Good Luck
Hmmm, well without getting my hands on the sweater and taking a closer look, I'd say that it looks like the neck and the hem are both picked up from the main body and knit on.
As for the body of the sweater, it looks like it's been slightly shaped - Stephanie Japel's book "Fitted Knits" is an excellent resource for teaching you about getting a sweater to fit your curves. The mitering should be relatively easy - I'm just concerned about getting the decreases in the right place rather than the actual mitering.
If you need to learn how to miter - here's an easy washcloth pattern that will give you the gist of the idea: http://sasw.blogspot.com/2005/01/dishcloths.html
Post a Comment